Most people try their best to make improvements in their life that will be beneficial to their wellbeing and quality of life. The idea of wellness covers far more than physical health, as it recognises how multiple areas of your life can impact your wellbeing.
Here we explore what wellness is, why it is so important and what you can do to reach your optimal level of wellness.
What is Wellness?
While we know the benefits of good physical health, wellness covers far more than the physical being. We can see the need for wellness in many areas of our life, including:
All of these categories work together to create an overall experience of wellness. By maintaining a good quality and balanced wellness in all areas of life, you can reduce stress, risk of illness and improve your wellbeing.
You may have experienced how this can work in your own life. For example, if you are having financial difficulties, then this can impact many other areas of your life, such as your emotional, environmental and social wellbeing.
Why is Wellness Important?
Wellness is incredibly important as it impacts all areas of our life. It is all about solving challenges in life to find a balance that allows you to live life to its full potential.
This is obviously easier said than done, as many people have at least one area that they find difficult to maintain. This is especially hard when dealing with factors out of your control, such as health problems or unexpected financial difficulties.
We can still do our best to try and improve each area of our lives as best we can.
Here we will take a look at the eight categories of wellness more in-depth, and explore how these can be improved.
Emotional wellness refers to your mental health and how your thoughts, feelings and behaviours can have an impact. Dealing with stress is a large part of improving your emotional wellness, so developing good self-care practices and stress-reduction techniques is essential.
Some ways you can help develop emotional wellness:
- Focussing on positive elements of life and staying optimistic.
- Practicing mindfulness and self-care.
- Gaining a good work/life balance.
- Seeking professional help if needed.
- Maintaining strong relationships with family and friends.
- Getting good quality sleep every night.
- Using CBD products to help reduce stress and improve sleep.
Spiritual wellness helps you to find purpose and meaning in life and establishes the values that you live by. It helps you to find peace and balance and guides your actions in life through a system of beliefs and values.
While for some, this may be a religious form of spirituality; for others, it can be about finding moments to contemplate and meditate and discovering your own spirituality.
Some ways you can help develop spiritual wellness:
- Practice yoga or meditation.
- Exploring your inner self.
- Reflecting on past events and forgiving past actions.
- Spending time in nature.
- Practising positive affirmations
- Being part of an organised religion.
Environmental wellness focusses on the world around you and that the way you are living is respectful to your surroundings. It can involve both the natural world and your personal living environment.
Some ways you can help develop environmental wellness:
- Choosing more sustainable products.
- Recycling your rubbish when possible.
- Reducing your use of electricity and water.
- Enjoying time walking outdoors or gardening.
- Using bikes, public transport or walking over driving.
Physical wellness is the form of wellness we will be most familiar with. It refers to keeping your body fit and healthy through exercise, a well-balanced diet and good lifestyle choices.
Some ways you can help develop physical wellness:
- Eating a well-balanced diet, with the right portion sizes.
- Exercising for 30 minutes each day as a minimum.
- Getting enough quality sleep each night.
- Stopping smoking.
- Reducing the intake of alcohol and sugar.
- Listening to your body’s needs.
- Getting medical help for illness and ailments.
If you’re not happy at work, then other areas of your life are likely to suffer. Occupational wellness is about finding satisfaction and joy in your career and reducing workplace stress.
Some ways you can help develop occupational wellness:
- Establishing a good work/life balance.
- Developing friendships and connections with colleagues.
- Learning conflict management strategies.
- Setting career goals for personal development.
- Increase your skills and qualifications.
- Focus on the benefits and positives of your job.
Intellectual wellness helps to stimulate our minds and keep us developing our knowledge and skills. Our intellectual wellness can bring us satisfaction and a feeling of fulfilment and purpose, as well as helping to improve other areas of our lives, such as our occupation.
Some ways you can help develop intellectual wellness:
- Trying new hobbies, such as learning a craft or musical instrument.
- Reading more books.
- Learning a language.
- Travelling to experience different cultures and cuisines.
- Taking a course to learn a new skill.
- Making time to be more creative.
Social wellness is about having strong connections with others and developing a support system of loved ones. To have good social wellness, you want these connections to be positive, meaning you feel safe, comfortable and happy being around them.
Some ways you can help develop social wellness:
- Spending time with family and friends.
- Getting involved in your community.
- Building new friendships and reaching out to old friends.
- Communicating respectfully and without judgement.
- Opening up to those you trust.
Financial wellness refers to your ability to successfully manage money. By having strong financial wellness, you can avoid feelings of stress and anxiety.
Some ways you can help develop financial wellness:
- Living within your means.
- Paying off credit cards and loans.
- Establishing and following a budget.
- Setting aside savings.
- Paying into a pension fund.
- Getting help from a financial advisor.
How Can ElleVance Help?
If you struggle with stress, sleeplessness or pain and find that these factors are impacting your wellness, then ElleVance may be able to help.
We offer a range of CBD products, including oils, capsules and balms, which can be used to reduce anxiety, relieve pain and improve sleep.
If you would like to find out more about how these products could help you improve your wellness, then click below, or get in touch with our team who will be happy to advise you.